How to do a romantic nigh in this Valentine’s Day. While February 14th might look slightly different this year, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a gourmet dinner at home! We’ve prepared some great ‘date night in’ recipes to try out in place of going out for dinner.
Prepare in advance
Make the most of your romantic night in and prepare this meal in advance. Using the James Martin by WAHL Digital Slow Cooker, you can keep it simmering until you’re ready to eat.
Slow Cooked Chicken with Red Peppers & Chorizo
- 5kg free-range chicken
- 4 red peppers, cut into 8 and de-seeded
- 250g chorizo, cut in to 0.5cm slices
- 40ml olive oil
- 200ml white wine
For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp. shallots, finely chopped
- 6 tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
- 1 red chili, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. oregano, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch of chives, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
Top tip: For a quick way of chopping up these ingredients, use the James Martin by WAHL Grind & Chop.
- Turn the Digital Slow Cooker to HIGH
- Add the pepper and chorizo to the bottom of the pot then place the chicken on top
- Pour over the wine and drizzle in the olive oil
- Cover with lid and cook for 4 hours or until the chicken is cooked
- While the chicken is cooking, mix all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place in a serving dish
- Mix the remaining cooking juices in the bowl with the sauce
- Pour the mixture over the chicken
- Serve with rice or salad
Create the perfect date night with a difference by cooking up some homemade pizzas together. You can make the dough in advance so it has plenty of time to rise and use the James Martin by WAHL Food Processor to ensure it’s properly mixed for the best results!
Homemade Pepperoni Pizza
- 300 grams all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tin whole peeled tomatoes
- Pinch of brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbps dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp dried chilli flakes
- Fresh chili
For the dough:
- In a food processor, combine flour, yeast, salt, and olive oil. Turn on and mix ingredients.
- With the food processor on, slowly pour in the warm water.
- Leave the food processor on for about 10 more seconds to knead the dough.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and continue to knead. Then shape into a ball.
- Place in a bowl and cover with a towel leave to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Tip the dough out onto a floured surface. Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces.
- Stretch the dough into a circle and press until it’s around 8 inches wide.
For the sauce:
- Chop 1/2 onion and garlic cloves.
- Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a saucepan.
- Add chopped onion and garlic and cook until golden.
- Add in tinned tomatoes and stir.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer until thickened.
- Add the pinch of salt and sugar. Followed by the oregano and chilli flakes. Mix well.
- Spoon over the dough and then add toppings of your choice.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven until crisp.
Keep it healthy
Date night doesn’t mean you have to break your healthy eating regime! Using the James Martin by WAHL Table Top Grill you can cook up this delicious healthy meal in minutes.
Spicy Tandoori Cod Steaks
- 4 x 7oz cod steaks, skin and bones removed
- Spicy tandoori mix
- 75g/3oz plain yogurt
- 1 chopped shallot
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- Serve with 350g plain boiled basmati rice
- 4 fresh limes
- Place the tandoori mix in a bowl with the yogurt and finely chopped coriander and mix well until it is all combined.
- Place the cod fillets into a dish and coat in the spice mixture all over, cover and place in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours to marinade.
- Pre heat the grill to a medium heat and lightly oil the surface.
- Remove the cod from the marinade and place on the grill for 10 minutes to cook, this should cook through all on one side, there should be no need to turn it over. Remove from the grill and serve with a half of fresh lime and some plain boiled basmati rice.