James Martin’s Braised Lamb Shank
- 50g/2oz plain flour
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 red onions, quartered
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 bottle of full bodied red wine
- 300ml/1/2 pint beef stock
- 2 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- 3 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Season the flour with a good pinch of salt and plenty of ground black pepper. Dust the shanks in the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and brown the shanks all over. Then transfer to the crock and add the onions and garlic and stir well.
- Pour in the wine, stock, rosemary, redcurrant jelly and a good grinding of black pepper.
- Turn the heat to high and cook for 10-12 hours or until the meat falls off the bone and the sauce is rich and thickened.
- Remove from the crock and serve with sautéed potatoes or mash.