James Martin’s Fresh Doughnuts with Vanilla & Cinnamon Sugar
Makes 5-10 doughnuts
- 250g (9oz) strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- pinch of salt
- 40g (1 ½ oz) castor sugar
- 30g (1oz) butter, softened
- 150ml (1/4 pt) water
- 20g (3/4 oz) yeast
- vegetable or sunflower oil for frying
- vanilla and cinnamon sugar mix
- Put all the ingredients except the oil and coating sugar into a large bowl and mix together, then tip out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
- Put the dough back in the bowl and leave to double in size.
- Divide the dough into 75g (3oz) pieces and shape into balls.
- Put on your floured surface and leave to rise until doubled in size.
- Pour some vegetable or sunflower oil into a large heavy-based pan and heat to 170C/325F, or a medium heat.
- Lower each of the doughnuts into the oil and fry until brown, then roll them over and fry the other side. (If you have a problem with rolling the doughnuts over then pierce them slightly with a knife). The frying should take no more than 5 minutes for both sides.
- When they are browned, tip them straight into a bowl of vanilla and cinnamon sugar mix and coat well.
- Cool them on a wire rack.
Vanilla and cinnamon sugar mix
- 1 vanilla pods scraped
- ¼ cinnamon stick
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- zest of ½ lemon
- Place the sugar, cinnamon and sugar into the grinder
- Pulse to form a powder then add the lemon zest pulse then remove
- Store in an air tight container until required