We know that many of you are helping to keep everyone safe by staying at home and with food supplies become increasingly more difficult, you will be surprised with what you can whip up with the items that you’ve already got. Here are five easy kitchen cupboard recipe ideas for the family that you can enjoy and freeze for another day.
Vegetarian Shepard’s Pie
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 16 ounces frozen sweetcorn
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Ready to Serve
Tuna and sundried tomato pasta bake
- 500g Penne Pasta
- 2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 300ml double cream
- 280g jar sundried tomatoes (drained)
- 198g can sweetcorn (drained)
- 3 x 120g can tuna
- 50g grated parmesan
- Tip the pasta in boiling water and cook for 1 min less than the pack suggests
- Add tomatoes to a pan, leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour in double cream and stir for 5 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and tip back into pan.
- Add tuna and sweetcorn to the sauce and stir for 1 minute.
- Pour tomato sauce over the pasta and place mix into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle parmesan on top of the mix.
- Put under grill for 5 minutes or until golden on the top.
Ready to serve
Lentil and Carrot Soup
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 140g split red lentils
- 1l vegetable cue stock
- 125ml milk or try dairy -free
- 600g grated carrots
- Heat a large saucepan, add 2tsp cumin seeds and a pinch of chilli flakes to the pan for dry frying to release the aromas. Fry for 1 minute until the ingredients start to jump around in the pan.
- Scoop half the of content and put aside. Add 2tbsp olive oil, grated carrots, split red lentils, 1L hot vegetable stock and 125ml milk to the pan and bring to boil.
- Leave to simmer for 15 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Using a Hand Blender or a Food Processor blend until the mix smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into saucepan and cooked for 5 minutes.
Ready to serve.
Vegetable Vegan Friendly Stew
- 3 onions
- 3 carrots
- 2 potatoes
- 1 parsnip
- 3 celery sticks
- 250 g Chesnutt mushrooms
- 1 ½ tbsp plain flour
- 500ml vegetable stock made with 1 ½ stock cubes
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 dashes of Tabasco sauce
- 120g frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roughly chop all the vegetables (except frozen peas) and place in a large bowl.
- Stir in the flour, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Place ingredients into Digital Multi Cooker.
- To the stock add and mix in the soy sauce, tabasco sauce and tomato puree.
- Pour over the vegetables.
- Set the Digital Multi Cooker for 3.5 hrs on high or 5.5 hrs on low.
- Stir in the frozen peas and cook until the vegetables are tender (about another ½ hour).
Ready to serve
Slow Cooked Beef Chilli
- 500g beef cut into match-box sizes
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 red pepper
- ½ cup of finely chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tbsp hot chilli powder
- 2tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2tbsp tomato puree
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 ½ tbsp dried oregano
- ½ pint beef stock from stock cubes
- Cut the red pepper and onion into thin strips and place into Slow Cooker.
- Add oil to frying pan and cook beef until brown (season with salt and pepper). Once brown place beef into Slow Cooker.
- Add garlic, spices and oregano to the pan and fry for one minute.
- Add tomato puree, tomatoes and beef stock into the Slow Cooker.
- Add beans to the mix and stir well.
- Set Slow Cooker on low for 7 hours and stir before serving.